These raw macaroons (the coconut ones, not the fancy French ones! ;)) are the perfect sweet snack to bring anywhere. I bring them to school, to work, to the beach…really, anywhere! They are incredibly easy to make and only require a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand. They are possible my favorite go-to snack, because they can be made in so many different flavors: lemon, blueberry, vanilla…..Mmm. They have been tested on many people (healthy eaters and “non-healthy” eaters alike, and they are loved by all! They are Paleo & Vegan friendly, and raw as well! No need to cook them. Just whip them up in a food processor and chill in the fridge.
Disclaimer: if you are allergic to peanuts, or simply don’t like peanut butter, it can be omitted. However, you will have to increase the coconut oil to 1/2 cup. It also helps to add another tablespoon of cocoa powder if you choose to omit the peanut butter. Another option is to use almond butter or another seed/nut butter of your choice.
Alright, that’s all I have to say about them. Once you make them, they will speak for themselves!
Choc-Peanut Butter Macaroons
- 2 cups shredded coconut (either sweetened or unsweentened, both will work)
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter (if you are omitting the peanut butter please see my note above)
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (unrefined is best)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Add all ingredients to a food processor (a blender will work as well, but I noticed that if you use a Vitamix it really sticks to the blades and is hard to remove, and it also blends the shredded coconut up a little bit more than I like it to) and blend until combined. It may start to stick together in the food processor, forming a ball. This is exactly what you want! If it doesn’t do this and is too runny, add little more shredded coconut or cocoa powder.
- Remove the blade, and begin rolling dough into balls.
- Put in a container and chill in the refrigerator or freezer. Once firm, enjoy! Store them in the fridge for 5-7 days.
I really hope you enjoy these as much as I do!